Yes, if you haven’t noticed, i’m going to listen to every single album labeled as midwest emo and review it. When i’m done with that i’m just gonna listen to every single emo album. And then, post-hardcore, maybe punk afterwards? Then all the punk subgenres, that means post-punk and shit. We’ll see if I manage to survive through it all.
Listen to the album right here my man
This album was released in July 2014. Just by looking at the album cover I can tell this album is gonna be hella comfy. Sadly, it seems that Somebody’s Basement broke up like, three years ago and this was their last album 😦 If i like the album I might check out they other stuff, it depends if I dig them
Here’s a review, I guess
- Sober And Alone 8/10 Well, it has trumpets so I like it. Hey, this isn’t that bad! I mean, Chris’s voice (the singer) is damn cool, but it isn’t really, uh, midwesty. It has everything a midwest song should have, but it feels more punk oriented than emo. IF I MADE A SONG IT WOULD PROBABLY SOUND LIKE THIS.
- Wethersfield, Forever! 9/10 NICE INTRO(!!!) I REALLY DIG THIS. Oh hey, his voice got a little more midwesty. These drums are cool as hell, well done Mike. The lyrics are alright. I like the guitar riffs from the last seconds
- Seeking Justice 9/10 holy shit… this is the soundtrack of thousands of white suburban kids (that’s kinda a good thing) “One more summer and i’m quitting this job, I said it last year, maybe i’ll mean it this year”, that was extremely nice.
- Punched In The Grief Bone 9/10 👌👌👌👌 My favourite part was when he sang “a neighbour” and repeated it, that’s just how I like my emo.
- Completely Craked 9 /10 Pop-punk-ish and fucking awesome. “I tried to kill myself but wait… no… look… please look? i’ve changed. see” Damn…
- Of All The Charlie Browns In The World, I Am The Charlie Browniest 9/10 Nice name, this has some nice bass lines and FINALLY SOME SCREAMS(!!!)
- Oh, I Guess I Miss You A Little 9/10 GOOD INTRO, I REALLY LIKE THE DRUMS AND THE TWINLKY GUITARS. The lyrics are kinda cheesy but ok. THE DRUMS ARE BANGING AT THE OUTRO, DID I JUST HEAT HARMONICS?? HOLY SHIT
- I Think The Neighbor Kid Is Making Serious Strides 9/10 Oh god, did they just sing about a Snowing song? That fucking rocks, man. I love Snowing. DUDE, THAT’S A TIGERS JAW SONG, THIS BAND KNOWS WHAT’S UP. This is a damn good closer, I liked the last song better, but that wouldn’t have worked as a closer.
I think I will listen to their other stuff, because I really liked this album! To be honest, I was expecting it to be kinda bad but it was the exact opposite.
I would definitely go to a concert of theirs, but they don’t play anymore. This album has this kind of DIY, lo-fi aestethic, which I like because it feels more like they were playing for fun.
RIP Somebody’s Basement, I can’t believe I hadn’t listened to them yet and now it’s too late 😦
A solid album worth to remember, 8.8/10